I’ve been in a little haze of love for East Nashville since before Christmas. I really tried to go local as much as possible with my gift giving, and while I didn’t wholly succeed (Dad got a really nice shirt from Nordstrom, among other exceptions…), I did hit up some classics:
- Olive & Sinclair Chocolate, Bang Candy Company (I know these guys aren’t technically East Nashville-based but they get around in their little confection truck) and Bongo Java Coffee Roasters provided sweets for two white elephant gift exchanges
- Porter Road Butcher and The Bloomy Rind sold the yummy Italian Sausages and Moses Sleeper (a cow’s milk soft cheese that is TO DIE FOR)
- Riverside Village Pharmacy carried Thistle Farms products, and I bought a delicious-scented candle for a dear friend
- Old Made Good furnished an awesome necklace for my cousin
- Idlewild, a new little garden-themed gift shop across from Family Wash introduced me to two little hanging bud vases made from vintage test tubes for another cousin
- Sweet 16th Bakery offered up macaroons for a late Hanukkah feast
- Fairytales Bookstore was the source for four story books for four little boys
What a treat to have access to all this within a few miles of where I live. I don’t mean to sound boastful; just want to shine a little light on a neighborhood that I really feel thankful for. Nicole Keiper of the blog East Nashville with Love sums up the neighborhood well in her About Us page here. If you’re not already reading that blog you’re missing out. It’s incredibly prolific in its content and a great source of neighborhood scoop.
I probably should have posted this before Christmas but hey, the holidays are hectic, man. Let this post be an inspiration to think local this year in lots of ways beyond just food. There are tons of local artisans in East Nashville and all around Nashville for that matter, and supporting them in 2012 the best I can is definitely something I’m going to be focusing on. Let’s do it together, shall we?
What are your favorite local spots, products, artisans, etc.?